Homemade Christmas Tree Advent Quilt



I've been wanting to make a wall-hanging
Advent Quilt like this for a few years now.
I've seen similar ones at places like Pottery Barn
and various stores over the years. 


I finished it on the third day of December 
but we can catch up, right?! 




I wanted it to be colorful,
whimsical,
and handmade. 


Something that would be fun to make
and that the girls would be able to
enjoy and create memories with for years to come.




I had the felt and buttons in my stash.
The turquoise fabric (1/2 yard) and one package of 
red quilter's binding/bias tape are goodies I picked up at Walmart.


The backing was made from a funny little 
green polar fleece baby blanket that was
taking up space and not being used by anyone in our house
but the cats lurking in our linen closet!




I used a combination of machine stitching
and hand stitching with embroidery thread --
mostly just to get'er done
more than for an aesthetic reason!




Note: Learn from my mistake:


I learned that if you use
fabric glue to attach the numbers and little outside 
felt squares to the bigger felt square pockets --
DON'T pin them right away with your 
straight pins to the quilt. 


I glued my pins inside each pocket and 
had to use pliers (and my hubby's brute strength)
to remove several of the pins!!




I actually had this little dowel rod and finials
in my crazy art supply stash.
I painted them with acrylic craft paint. 


Each pocket contains a little miniature 
ornament to hang on the tree's buttons
with a gold star pin on the 25th to top the tree. 


Happy Homemade Holidays!


Fondly,
pink and green mama,









No comments:

Post a Comment